Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Well I'm finally here!

Hi all! I've always been half and half about blogs. I have read a lot of them but was never sure if i wanted one because i wasn't sure that i'd be able to keep up with it. After thinking about it for a while and my friends encouraging me that this is what i needed to do... i'm here!

Over the past few years i have had a "wild ride"... i first sewed when i was 18 then i put the machine aside after one project, but i knew i'd get back to it sooner or later. After moving in with my boyfriend in 2004, he paid for me to take many classes, starting with a night sewing class. From there i've been like a wild woman 'conquering' many new things one by one. It all started with a simple pillow with a zipper! I started making lots and lots of clothes, and although i am not a seamstress and i do not know how to do alterations, i am sure i'll get there one day.

My love for sewing took a turn one day after spending a good amount of time at Joanns staring at the quilting fabric. I've been crocheting since i was 5 or 6 thanks to my aunt and "the lady down the street" her name was Mrs. Boyd. when i was a little girl, during the summertimes, i'd go walk down to Mrs. Boyd's house and she'd be sitting on her porch watching the sun set and crocheting. She taught me and I am so happy to have a little story like that affiliated to my life because i've always been jealous -not maliciously jealous but.. just ya know.. an 'i wish i had that' kinda thing- of people who had a mom that taught them to sew or a grandmother, because my mom isn't into sewing lol! She always says "i have NO idea where you got this from" ... and of her 2 daughters, i would be the one least likely to be domesticated... ok anyway! back to my sewing taking a turn... so i decided, well if i can crochet a blanket, i am sure i can sew a quilt... so, again, Allan (my dear boyfriend) paid for me to take a quilting class with Pat O'Brien (she's a local who many learn to quilt from) She is a fantastic teacher and bang, i started taking class after class. 2 Christmases ago, i was making a quilt out of brocade fabrics (ugh... never again...) and ever which way i tried to quilt it, the fabric just pulled and pulled! I was desperately searching the web like a mad person to find solutions. Through my google search i stumbled onto the HGTV Quilting and Needlework forum. 1 year and 9 months later, i am a complete posting addict over there LOL! I've met some truly amazing women who make me laugh, who make me cry (in a good way!), who share not only my dreams and support me, but we all support each other and encourage the other. It has been a force in my life that has really driven me to want to learn more and do so much more. This year i was lucky enough to attend their annual retreat. 40 of us met in Houston, many of us not knowing the other except for our daily board posts. I can honestly say i've met amazing women, with amazing stories, and now we share amazing friendships. My roommates NickiLee and Kathy were the best roommates i could have ever wished for, we laughed, we cried, we hugged, we shared stories.... and i know from those precious moments that we are all tied at the heart.

I bounce off the walls with projects and new ideas and tying me down wouldn't sit me still! I have been referred to as 'The Mad Tatter' . . . recently this year i've learned the fine art of needle tatting. I am going nuts wanting to learn to shuttle tatt because it looks SO much prettier! I am sure i will learn! I was encouraged to learn to crazy quilt (CQ) and i didn't think i'd be able to do it...  The tatting i learned because in February my HGTV secret sister sent me a gift card for Michael's for my birthday. I decided after seeing tatting here and there that i just HAD to learn this art! and so i did! I have been making jewelry and pieces for CQing since!

I have a message board called: A Stitch In Time and anyone who loves quilting, sewing, needlework are welcome to join! There is a steady group of us over there and we enjoy talking freely with each other. HGTV is fantastic but sometimes we're a bit too limited there sometimes. You must register though to be able to peruse the forums.

It's been an amazing journey so far... and i look forward to the road ahead and sharing it all with those of you who decide to stop by :)

3 comments:

NickiLee said...

Well girl, it's about time! I knew sooner or later you would hit BlogLand" and with a force! LOL! I know you... you will enjoy it as much as you do everything else that you put your heart into. Oh... and yes... I do love my earrings and bracelet - they are beautiful!

Nicki

bingo~bonnie said...

woo hoo - welcome to blogland!!! :)
I gotcha bookmarked -I love reading everything you write.... you are so down to earth ;) Can't wait to meet you in April.

Love from Texas! ~bonnie

CarolynPhi said...

Talia, I love your new blog! It's so much fun to see you relaxing and having fun with your family. Sebastian is adorable! You're kind of cute, too...

I love your tatted pieces, they are so beautiful, and you are so creative!

You are in my "favorites" now, but you already knew you were one of my favorites!!! LOL!!!

Carolyn